Summer is the season some bands exist. Without Summer I doubt anyone would know Sugar Ray, Ace of Base, or the Black Eyed Peas. There’s no Fall song or Winter hit. But there’s always one Summer song that gets into the nation’s ear. You can’t escape it and by Labor Day, it makes you want to cram your ears with dryer lint.
This year, it’s Call Me Maybe. You know it is because you don’t even have to click the link! It’s probably running through your head right now. Sorry or you’re welcome. I was highly annoyed by this song when it first appeared on my radio. Maybe it’s the warmer temps or maybe it’s the amount of times Sirius plays it, but I don’t mind it as much. The boys know the words and I’ve been woo’d by its annoying beats. I doubt Carly Rae Jepsen will be around next summer, but she can be my BFF this summer.
Summer songs have a criteria:
1. Snappy/annoying beat.
2. Must be able to handle a loud cranking in the car.
3. Must sound good while the windows are down in said car.
4. Makes you dance like a spaz while driving on the highway.
5. Eliminates any trace of embarrassment while dancing on the highway. Or at traffic lights. Or in the driveway as you wait for Summer song to wrap up.
6. Might not have been released during the summer months, but you found it in the summer and have attached massive good memories to the song.
7. You’d hate it in the Fall. And if you hear it in the Fall, it annoys you.
A few of my favorite Summer songs.
Lenny Kravitz “Are you Gonna Go my Way”
LMFAO “Sexy and I Know it”
Gwen Stefani “Hollaback Girl”
Missy Elliot “Work It”
Are you on Spotify? Check out my entire Summer Playlist. Some songs make sense. You hear one and think, “Hell yeah, that’s summer.” And then you walk to the fridge and mix up a margarita. Others are purely on it for the memories. I can’t go Labor Day camping and not hear “Wait (The Whisper Song)”. Highly inappropriate for the kids, but perfect when I’m in my friend’s Jeep heading to the bar to watch the Buckeye’s play. It wouldn’t be Summer if that scene doesn’t happen. And that’s the magic of a Summer song. What are your Summer jams? Help me add to my list.
Reason #3 I Should Like Summer: Summer songs blaring.