I went into the holiday season knowing that I wouldn’t catch a break until March. I didn’t realize that I wouldn’t catch a break until April. Silly me, I’m only beginning to breathe and it’s almost May.
So let’s catch up fast and dirty style. Y’all like it fast and dirty? Here we go:
- Finished one of my favorite quilts (I know I say that about all of them, but I mean it this time. I think). I filled it with boy themes and did some hand-stitching. It belongs to one of our favorite families (scroll down to see him with his adoring sister) who welcomed a boy into their all-girl clan. I think he deserved the most boy heavy prints I could dig up and he got them.
- Took the boys to their first big event: WWE Raw. Who knew so many grown men really love wrestling? Who knew so many grown men believe it’s real Real? Who knew the event would have a smell: gunpowder and thick BO? Who knew I’d have as much fun as the boys? (psst… Me.)
- My parents gave us their pool table. I’m awful at it. Always have been. I blame my long legs. They hit the table at a weird spot and it clearly throws off my aim… Clearly. But every now and then I win. My celebration dance is disgusting even to me. Each time, I swear it’s the last time I’ll ever get to do the Winner’s Dance, so I do it louder than the last Dance. And I promise to win gracefully next time. But I’ll do it again. And again. I’m an awful winner.
- We finally made it to Disney. Fast and dirty recap: Boys hated anything princess related ( see below right) which worked in our favor. They would only walk directly in front of us and at varied paces. This awkward walking style resulted in 3 “gentle” shoves. I didn’t have to kill or even threaten to kill anyone. We discovered Becks hates roller coasters and we only “forced” him on two. 3 out of the 4 parks serve beer. I didn’t care how much it cost. And Disney is gorgeous at night.
- I had a little bit of time to hang out with my youngest friends. Which translates from Mommy Speak to Adult: I got to hang out with their parents. I also had a few opportunities to hang out and discuss photography. This always results in a few things: I’m put in front of the camera, I realize that I do know what I’m talking about, I get to see others’ passion for the craft which always fuels my own, I get to hang out with my friends while talking photography, I get to hang out with friends because of photography, I get to share a few drinks with friends. You can never type “friends” too often in a blog post.
- I had the privilege of documenting this family’s second birth. She was so strong and had the birth her way. It was beautiful.
- “What are you doing?!” “Wait. Let me get my camera… O.K. Do it again. One more time. Shit. Are you okay?!”
- Finally replaced the front door. She’s happy and so am I. Yes, this sounds like an incredibly boring nugget to put in a blog post. Unless you’ve waited 2 years to replace the piece of shit front door that came with the house. Just indulge me, Folks.
- Had a Spring Break that I will affectionately call Spring Boy Break. It only took a couple of days to reinforce my belief that I was meant to be a Boy Mom. My gut wasn’t wrong. I was meant to be a parent of boys. Noise levels were always high. Fake wrestling matches were stopped in time and mud washes out of clothing. It was good prep for summer.
- Work tossed some surprise travel at me. I miss the road, so I let the TSA agents frisk me a little longer than normal, brought the rental car employees gifts, and purposely made a mess in a few hotel rooms. But I’m not a travel photographer. These are the only frames from Portland, Austin, and Dallas.
- My camera fell about 5 inches and the mirror box went to shit. “So you can fix my box?” Some of you will understand why I enjoyed calling the repair shop to ask this juvenile question. Two years ago being camera-less would have crushed me. I would have felt incomplete, naked and confused. Now? It felt fine. Not having the constant need to reach for it felt freeing. I survived. But by the fifth day, my finger was feeling itchy.
“C’mon. Get out of the frame! I’m NOT taking your picture. I’m taking his! Knock it off. This is what I do… Get out!!”
- Our family has two birthdays in April. Mark celebrated his 40th birthday (no big camera = no pictures But I wouldn’t have used it anyways, we all know this) and Coop celebrated his. Mark celebrated with a few close friends and won enough money to pay for the party, a round of drinks, and a few self-bought birthday gifts. For Coop, we had a party where I didn’t need to clean or cook. After a long couple of months, this was the best way to spend some cash. Both Birthday Boys said this year’s birthday was their best yet. I’m a happy Lady. And ready for a birthday break…
Throw in some school events, a few loads of laundry, an almost finished quilt, freezer burritos, a couple awful periods, a stomach bug that camped out in Coop’s gut for a month and you’ve got the entire story.
All caught up fast and dirty style.
Hey Summer?! You’re up. Be kind to me this year, ok?